Committed to Excellence Scholarship
Plateau, through its Board of Directors, has established an endowment fund for needs-based one-time scholarships. The company, as a regional telecommunications company in eastern New Mexico, is a strong advocate for higher education and the economic, cultural, and social well-being of the communities in the Cooperative service area.
Funds are to be awarded on a single, one-time basis and the amount of the award shall not exceed $1,000. Eligibility requirements include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Applicants must demonstrate academic/technical promise and motivation to succeed in a higher education or vocational school setting. Graduating high school seniors with a 19 ACT/1350 SAT will be considered for this scholarship. Returning college students who have not enrolled for at least the past two consecutive semesters with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher will be considered for this scholarship.
- If awarded, the applicant must use the scholarship to attend a regionally accredited vocational school, college or university. Proof of enrollment will be required, and the award will be paid directly to the school on the recipient’s behalf.
- “Returning” college students must not have been enrolled for at least the past two consecutive semesters, and must not have been suspended or on probation for academic or disciplinary reasons.
- The applicant must be a legal dependent1 of a current Plateau employee, or of an active Cooperative member2 who is currently receiving landline telephone service in one of the Cooperative’s 26 service exchange areas. Cooperative Service Exchange Eligibility NOTE: Internet service or landline service outside the listed Cooperative exchange areas does not qualify.)
- The applicant must have exactly two (2) letters of recommendation accompanying the application form. One of the letters must be from an attending high school or higher education institution representative. The other letter may be from any other adult who can attest to the applicant’s qualifications and potential abilities as a student. Both letters must be originally signed and if applicable, on official letterhead.
- The applicant must have completed a Free Application for Student Federal Financial Aid (FASFA) and have a current year Estimate Family Contribution (EFC) of no more than 10,000 (12,500 for dependents of Plateau employees). This award is based on financial need.
- Eligible applications must be addressed to the Plateau address listed on the application and post-marked no later than May 1st.
1For the purpose of scholarship eligibility, a dependent is a child that meets the IRS rules as a qualifying child for tax benefits.
2For the purpose of scholarship eligibility, a cooperative member is defined by the Bylaws of the Cooperative.